You know, I love the Internet, because thanks to its info-distributing, organizing prowess, stuff like this can go down, all in 24 hours
1) The school board of Itawamba County cancels prom after Constance Millen demands to be able to bring her girlfriend, and to wear a tux.
2) Daily Vos says, fuck that noise
, the internet can throw you a better party, one everyone can attend! and starts planning.
3) ACLU immediately gets their act in gear and sues Itawamba County
4) Facebook group Let Constance Take Her Girlfriend To Prom
has, of this minute, 20,000 fans.
5) Someone finds email addresses for a bunch of people on the Itawamba County school board, and publishes them widely. Here they are:
reports that the first three addresses are bouncing. Don't use!
6) Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition starts organizing to be the focal point in-state of Prom For Everyone
This response makes me so incredibly happy. I love that when this shit went down, the immediate response was to prioritize helping the kids at Itawamba Agricultural High School have prom, and to put the lie to the school board's attempt to make Constance the bad guy. I love that the ACLU has lawyers primed and hungry to put idiocy like this down, and that it seems to have taken microseconds for them to start their shit-kicking engines. I love that 599 people over on the Daily Vos have vowed to make monetary contributions to make Prom For Everyone happen.
I especially love it that a moment of discrimination and NO YOU CAN'T by TPTB turns into an uproarious and confident YES WE CAN.
Fuckin' a, Internet.